click to enable zoom
We didn't find any results
open map
View Roadmap Satellite Hybrid Terrain My Location Fullscreen Prev Next
We found 0 results. View results
Your search results

Don’t Forget That Some Moving Expenses Are Tax Deductible

Posted by Sherry Rioux on August 13, 2009

Did you know that you can deduct eligible moving expenses from employment or self-employment income you earn at your new location if you move and establish a new home to be employed or carry on a business?

I’ve been told by some accountants and tax advisors, that many people forget that they can claim these deductions or, they are unclear as to how they apply.

According to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website,  you can also deduct moving expenses if you move to study courses as a full-time student at a college, university, or other institution offering post-secondary education. However, you can only deduct these expenses from the part of your scholarships, fellowships, bursaries, certain prizes, and research grants required to be included in your income.

The rules say that your new home must be at least 40 kilometers closer to your new place of work or educational institution. You must establish your new home as the place where you ordinarily reside. For example, you have established a new home if you have sold or rented (or advertised for sale or rent) your old home.

The website has a useful link on the front page that you can follow to establish your eligibility for these deductions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Compare Listings