Planners Series 2016 – The Blue Mountains
Each year, local planners meet with the Membership of our SOUTHERN GEORGIAN BAY ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® to review the past year and tell us about upcoming news for each municipality. For your reading pleasure, below is a summary of the planning presentation from the town of THE BLUE MOUNTAINS.
Michael Benner, MCIP RPP Director, Planning and Development Services gave the following update:
- The Blue Mountains New Official Plan came into full force and effect on October 25, 2016, and has 2 site-specific appeals pending
- Short Term Accommodation Policies need to go into the new plan by way of amendment. Below you’ll see a chart showing the figures to date on STA licenses.
- They are currently working on a new Zoning Bylaw, which will replace the existing (old) Thornbury and Township of Collingwood zoning bylaws
- The Zoning Bylaw will have better mapping!
- Expected date of completion is 1st Quarter 2017.
- Secondary Suites are permitted in any zone-permitting residential area.
- The Blue Mountains has an Attainable Housing Corporation Grant Program to help with the creation of secondary suites – click here for application form.
- Building activity was remarkably ahead of previous years, both in number of permits issued, and dollar volume. Michael stated that new construction was responsible for 65% of these elevated figures.